I am continually amazed at the changes that can be made in 5 minutes.
To get full effect, here are a few tips.
1. Use down time to do a little planning. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy.
Maybe daydreaming would be a better word for it. Take a walk around your house with a ‘5 minute eye’
to map out your next moves, see what would make a good 5 Minute Fix or what you would really like to get out of the way.
2. Remember that you can choose a ‘fix’ based on something that you can do in 5 minutes, or you can choose a project that may take several 5 minute chunks to complete. Anything goes! You can do the entire challenge based around one project or area – or spread it out. It’s your call.
3. Prepare. If you know (due to spending some coffee/tea time daydreaming) that you are going to dust your dresser today or the next, grab your duster and anything else that you may use and place it somewhere easy for you to get it when you are ready to start. Always of course remember safety – never chance putting anything where it is easy for a child or pet to reach if they should not or if it is unsafe for them to do so.
4. Take a before and after picture. You will be impressed. You can even go so far as to take your before’s at one time – then choose from them when you are ready to map out your next 5 Minute Fix. It’s a fun way to plan. And to record your progress. It can be very illuminating!
5. Don’t rush or stress. Go at a focused, quick pace but don’t be unsafe or worry if someone slows you down (like that would happen!) If you don’t get it finished today just do another 5 tomorrow or take a few minutes extra – not a big deal! We are about getting started, focus and improvement in 5 minute increments here – not causing more discomfort or guilt. Chill!
BONUS TIP: Try to do it as early in the day as you can. I have been doing mine after coffee but before breakfast – basically it’s how I have been starting my day.
It’s working great!
Nice to have it out of the way and done – and we get to enjoy the benefit all day! (yes, if you have kids, they will be amazed. One of the greatest things can be your children’s reactions when ‘that pile is gone’ or when ‘that looks nice!”)
If you haven’t joined the 5 Minutes for 30 Days Challenge yet, you can check it out here…
Here is my Day Two Before and After using the tips above.