Do you and your children know how to put out a kitchen grease fire?
They are so fast to spread they can be deadly in an instant.
Here’s a video that shows an unattended grease kitchen fire spreading in 1 minute 39 seconds.
put it out
Here’s one that shows you how to put them out safely in seconds.
If you don’t know how, or if your children don’t know, watch these videos with them today.
A refresher never hurts even if you do know.
Grease Fire Basics
1. Never throw water on the fire. It will cause it to explode.
2. Don’t use sugar or flour either, it is combustible.
2. Never try to move the pan. This can make a bad situation much worse.
3. Smother it.
Put oven mitts on and watch your sleeves – a good reason to always keep oven mitts close by.
Use either the lid (sliding it over the pan) or a cookie sheet – something that is fire proof that will not allow air in. If you can’t find the proper lid, try one that is bigger but will fit snugly around the edge. The idea is to cut off the air supply.
4. Shut off the burner. Don’t attempt to remove the lid or pot until it is cool.
1. For oven or microwave fires, keep the door shut so that no air can get in to feed the fire. It should go out on it’s own.
Kitchen Fire Safety Tips from the NBC video.
1. Keep combustibles away from the stove – don’t hang or store anything that can catch fire near your stove and be sure to keep your oven and burners free of grease build up. If you have cupboards over or near your stove consider taking them down if possible. (the video shows clearly how they can increase damage and danger immensely.
5. If you can’t put the fire out IMMEDIATELY, get out and call 911, particularly if you have young kids or others in the house.
I’ve included the video below as a demonstration of how painful and serious even a ‘minor’ incident can be. Fire is nothing to play with, be sure to review the videos and have everyone learn prevention and how to safely deal with a kitchen grease fire today.
Many thanks to this young woman for sharing her story to help us not to make the same mistakes.
She had a grease fire while PREHEATING her deep fryer and tried to remove it from the home. You may not want to watch the whole thing about her wounds, healing and recovery process, but the first minute or so she tells how it happened.
It’s a good lesson in how fast and easy things can get out of control – more than you would ever think.
GENERAL FIRE SAFETY TIPS
Check out this slide presentation for general tips on fire safety. Have a look around and make one improvement in your home today. If you think you need to do more work, come back and do some more. It could save your life and that of your children. Remember, now is the time, not later.
It's so easy to get off track even as we begin each year with the best intentions to stay focused in what is important.
If you would like to make this year the year that you DO accomplish the things that you have been trying to and to BECOME the person that you have been wanting to be without the stress and exhaustion, join me with a Fresh Start starting today.